United Kingdom 1930 - 1938:
Western Command comprised the country of Wales (including the county of Monmouthshire), and the English counties of Cheshire, Shropshire, Herefordshire, Lancashire, Cumberland and Westmorland. It also included the Isle of Man.
Since 1907, the headquarters of the command was located Chester. Initially it was based in Watergate House, Watergate Street, Chester. In 1935, having outgrown that accommodation, it moved to temporary accommodation at Boughton. In 1938, the headquarters moved into new, purpose built facilities at Queen’s Park, Chester. The command was a Lieutenant General’s (or General’s) appointment.
In 1936, the North Midland Area in Northern Command was abolished, so the county of Staffordshire was transferred to the West Lancashire Area of Western Command.
The command was divided into three areas, the:
East Lancashire Area;
West Lancashire Area.
The Welsh Area included Monmouthshire, Herefordshire and Shropshire. The West Lancashire Area comprised the county of Lancashire south of the River Ribble (excluding Wigan but including Warrington) and the county of Cheshire. The East Lancashire Area comprised the counties of Cumberland and Westmorland, and the county of Lancashire north of the River Ribble and east of Wigan (inclusive).
There were no Regular Armyformations stationed in Western Command, but each of the three Areas contained one Territorial Army formation collocated within that Area. These were the:
42 (East Lancashire) Division;
53 (Welsh) Division;
55 (West Lancashire) Division.
In each case the General Officer Commanding the division was also the Area Commander.