United Kingdom 1930 - 1938:
In 1920, Northern Command was reconstituted covering the counties of Northumberland, Durham, Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Staffordshire, Leicestershire and Rutland. Berwick-on-Tweed was also in Northern Command, other than in respect of Regular Army units.
The headquarters of the command were located in Fishergate, York (as shown in the accompanying photograph). The General Officer Commanding-in-Chief was usually a Lieutenant General, whose residence was Bootham House until 1936, when Claxton Hall became the home of the G.O.C.
DOWNLOADABLE DOCUMENTS (pdfs)
Northern Command History & Personnel
Regular Army Formations
Territorial Army Formations
When the Command was reconstitued, it comprised three Areas.
The Northumbrian Area – Counties of Northumberland and Durham, together with the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire;
The West Riding Area – The West Riding of Yorkshire;
The North Midland Area – Counties of Lincolnshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Staffordshire, Leicestershire and Rutland.
In 1936, the North Midland Area was disbanded in order to form the headquarters of the new 2 Anti-Aircraft Division, with Lincolnshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire and Rutland being absorbed by the West Riding Area. Staffordshire transferred to the West Lancashire Area of Western Command.
There was only one Regular Army formation based in the Command, the 5 Division which was stationed in and around Catterick in North Riding of Yorkshire. Each of the three Areas had one Territorial Army division based in that Area, the General Officer Commanding the Area also acting as divisional commander. The three divisions were the:
46 (North Midland) Division;
49 (West Riding) Division;
50 (Northumbrian) Division.
The 46 Division was disbanded in 1936, with several of the units converting into anti-aircraft units and others being absorbed by the 49 Division.